This page is part of the context-sensitive in-game help. If you want to contribute to it, please read the Writing Help Pages page first, because the style for these help pages differs from the rest of the wiki.
Taxes are normally collected once every seven days. Bankers can call an early tax.
The tax collection is done by the knights of the region, each within his own estate. The lord collects collects from any vacant estates and unassigned, wild lands. Collection in vacant estates and wild lands is at reduced efficiency, with a loss of about 50% of the tax income.
On tax day, the following happens:
- Peasants pay their taxes as determined by the tax rate
- Guildhouses and temples pay taxes (guildhouses at half rate, temples at quarter rate)
- Expenses such as buildings and militia payments are deducted from this total
This results in the tax gold available for collection.
But the knights, lords and dukes all not being the actual owners of the land but only holding them in fief for the next one up the hierarchy, they all have to give a share of their income to their betters. Every level of the hierarchy defines the share the levels below contribute up:
- The king decides the "kings share" - the % of income the dukes have to send to him
- The dukes decide the "dukes shares" - the % of income the lords have to send to them
- The lords decide the "lords shares" - the % of income the knights have to send to them