The Colonial Brethren
The Colonial Brethren is based in the Colonies and broadly speaking has two aims. The first is to serve the best interests of its members and the second is to preserve a rough balance of power in the Colonies. Any methods used in the pursuit of these aims is deemed justifiable and includes, but is not limited to, assasination.
Because of the means used to carry out its aims, the society keeps the identities of its members secret. The leadership of this organisation is, likewise, cloaked in secrecy and is probably the most powerful single body in the Colonies.
The main method used to cary out its aims is that of propelling its members into positions of authority. It counts nobles of every rank amongst its members and uses the powers of their positions within their realms to affect the course of events at every turn. At times members skilled in the art of assasination will be dispatched on missions to alter the political landscape of the Colonies overnight, at other times the society may orchestrate a full out war in order to further its aims.
At times the society will require members to work against the realm they call home for the loyslty of a member is first and foremost to the society. This is yet another reason for secrecy. The Colonial Brethren transcend political boundaries and reach deep into the heart of every realm.
Perspective members are invariably observed for a long period before they are approached by a member of the society who will invite them into the society. All perspective members are sworn to secrecy and, if they should decline the invitation, they will be watched 'til the end of their days to ensure they do not break the oath. For those who do, the penalty is death.
For those who accept the invitation a fascinating experience lies ahead. They are required to be prepared to give all to the soceity if ordered and in return the society will watch over them and use its influence to propel its members into positions of wealth and power.
The society mimics the structure of a realm in its own ranks, most positions in the society are equivalent to a position in a realm. The ranks of the society are as follows but the identities of the holders of each rank are kept secret.
- First Voice - The supreme head of the society. He heads its ruling council and determines what island-wide actions it should take. The First Voice is elected by the Voices.
- Voice - The heads of the society in one specific realm each. They sit on the ruling council and are appointed by the First Voice. This position is the equivalent of a Ruler.
- Under-Voice - Each Voice has an Under-Voice as an assistant. They assist them in managing the society in their particular realm and relay orders form their Voice to that Voice's Listeners, this is in order to preserve secrecy. They are also an undestudy and can expect to replace their Voice in due course. This position is the equivalent of an heir-in-waiting.
- Listener - There is one of these for each duchy in a realm and they take responsibility for the society's activities within that duchy. They listen to orders from their Voice as passed down by their Under-Voice and pass the orders on in turn to their Speakers. This position is the equivalent of a Duke.
- Speaker - There are a few of these in a duchy and they take responsibility for managing the society members within their jurisdiction. They answer to their Listener and pass his orders down to their Hands. They also are the main recruiters for the society. This position is the equivalent fo a region lord.
- Hands - These are the basic unit of the society, each answers to a specific Speaker and carries out their orders. This position is equivalent to a knight.
- Fingers - These are society members who have only recently joined, they answer to no specific Speaker and are only entrusted with minor tasks. This position is equivalent to an unaligned noble.
- Initiates - These are those who have accepted an invitation to the society but have yet to become a full member. They are also able to contact the society and hire their services, as such some of those who hold this position do so solely for the purpose of being able to hire the society's services.
Members may communicate with each other through a network of messengers sworn to secrecy. Furthermore, all orders are passed down through a long chain from the highest to the lowest to preserve secrecy.
The Colonial Brethren have safe houses in several regions across the Colonies where its members can meet. These safe houses are well hidden and well guarded. The only way to find one is to be shown its location by someone who already knows where it is.
Please use common sense and try not to bring any OOC knowledge IC without having appropriate and valid reasons to do so, through acceptable and mutually acknowledged gameplay and/or RP evolution. Thank you