The Noble Republic of Terran
- 1 The Noble Republic of Terran
- 1.1 The History of Terran
- 1.2 The Lands and Lords of Terran
- 1.3 The Rulers of the Noble Republic of Terran
- 1.4 The Governmental Structure of Terran
- 1.5 The General Diplomacy of Terran
- 1.6 The Military of Terran
- 1.7 The Justice System of Terran
- 1.8 Religion in Terran
- 1.9 The Newspapers of Terran
- 1.10 The Culture of Terran
- 1.11 Holidays in Terran
The History of Terran
Risen from the ashes of glory, Terran is a realm led by young and promising nobles whom are both skilled and dedicated. The birth of Terran has brought about a new era for the people of Saffalore and word shall soon spread of the new realm being born from the flames of power.
(It was originally believed that the intended name of the realm was to be Highland. The confusion was caused when an entry of the realm was made in the library and they called themselves Highland while the legal documents stated they were still a colony. When the realm name was chosen, Terran appeared on the legal documents.)
A complete history of the Noble Republic of Terran can be found here
The Lands and Lords of Terran
The Duchy of the Highlands
The City of the Chateau Saffalore - Senator Vigilans Animus
- Abernathy, Gwendolyn Elorie, Vesna
Saffalore - Senator Elias Stormreaver
Vashgew - Senator Therond Somnius
- Senator Theron
Gretchew - Senator O'domus Ryngaar
- Artt, Konig
Mistight- Senator Tampico Maldives
The Duchy of the Lowlands
The City of Chesney - Senator Hireshmont Vellos
- Cedric, Julius, Kahrl, Kunu, Lancelots
Chesland - Senator Metis Highland
Larur - Senator Dallas Pablo
Odona - Senator Fyodor Van Kaya
The Duchy of Phantaria
The City of Shokalom - Senator Labell Enstance
- Raziel III
Shoka - Senator Kale Perth
- Randwulf, Torvaldo, Trimm
Inklen - Senator Munsun Creedo
The Rulers of the Noble Republic of Terran
- Founder and the first ruler of Terran; elected with 100% of the vote. Styled as the Royal Magistrate of Terran, he led Terran for the first 239 days of her existence. He oversaw the consolidation of the the lands surrounding the Chateau Saffalore, and the expansion into the Duchy of Chesney; and contained the initial incidences which surrounding the appearance of daimons on Terran's borders. Along with Teniel Dell, Vigilans Animus and Labelle Enstance, he co-inspired the introduction of the Church of Sanguis Astroism to large parts of the realm. Leading admirably in the face of overwhelming odds, Magistrate Vesna was forced to step down as a result of a worsening diplomatic situation engulfing Terran.
- Second ruler of Terran; elected with 85% of the vote. Styled as the Chief Magistrate of Terran During her first acts as the new ruler, she ended the war with Caerwyn which threatened to engulf the fledgling republic and instituted several reforms to its governmental systems. Oversaw the expansion of Terran beyond its traditional borders surrounding the Chateau Saffalore, and the Duchy of Chesney. Has also made progress in the acquisition of allies closer to home, particularly on the southern borders of Terran. Continued the promotion of Sanguis Astroism in Terran, though oversaw the religious diversification of Terran with the appearance of Triunism in the Duchy of Chesney.
- Lady Teniel Dell was re-elected to the rulership on the 9th August 1009, with 65% of the vote.
- Third ruler of Terran; elected in a more contested election in October of 1009 after Teniel Dell stepped down. Also styled as the Chief Magistrate of Terran, he oversaw Terran's growing activities abroad. His reign saw Madina expelled from Maroccidens, and strengthening ties to D'Hara. His tenure also saw fluctuations in territorial controls around Chesney, with the city itself prospering, even as the Duchy of Saffalore flourished. Eventually, Torvaldo's tenure saw multiple successful defenses of Paisly on behalf of D'Hara from Madina, and began expanding Terran's borders again with more success. The winter and spring of DY 10 were difficult times for Terran, and proved a challenge to Chief Magistrate Torvaldo's leadership. However, those hurdles were overcome, and Terran eventually expanded to take the Duchy of Shokalom.
- Torvaldo Rimida was re-elected to the rulership several times, ruling at least until the Spring of DY13
Hireshmont II Vellos
- Information on the rule of Hireshmont II Vellos needed...
- Information on the rule of Alura Aurea needed...
- Information on the rule of Labell Enstance needed...
- Information on the rule of Roaven Collingwood needed...
- Information on the rule of Daemon Maloudi needed...
The Governmental Structure of Terran
Terran was formed as a Noble Republic, with the rights of the un-landed and landed nobility protected by law. A Draft Copy of a potential Constitution for Terran can be found here. While Terran at current is a vigorous Republic, it actually has no constitution, with the Republic being, essentially, that which can be maintained by its constituents. One prominent Senator's take on the Republic can be found here.
The primary governing body within Terran is undoubtedly the Senate, through which the day-to-day affairs of all realm matters are discussed and decided upon. Typically, this council includes all members of the realm bearing Senatorial class or a title equivalent, therefore resulting in the inclusion of all High Council members and the landed nobility. However in extraordinary cases the Senate, with the approval of the Chief Magistrate, bears the authority to vest an untitled noble honorary Senatorial status in order to qualify them for a place in the Senate.
The governmental structure of the Noble Republic of Terran provides for the institution of the Chief Magistrate as well as her High Council, all of which are directly elected by the Nobility to a four month term. Whilst being above the landed nobility of the realm in the strictest sense of the word, the High Council functions in tandem with the Senate in handling the day-to-day affairs of executive and legislative governance within the realm. The Chief Magistrate therefore is better termed, the First among equals and whilst retaining all the powers of the ruler, can also be termed appropriately as the leader of the Senate who directs the introduction and flow of issues concerning the governance of the realm, but respects and is often understood to make her decisions in consultation, and with the assent of the Senators.
However, hierarchy in the Senate derives from position in the realm; therefore to maintain the line of succession the Senator of the Chateau Saffalore, as lord of the capital city, follows as the second in line of succession, and is in a position to rule the realm in the High Council's stead if all other council members are incapacitated. Below the lord of the Capital, follows the lord of the next largest city, while the rest of the House are assigned seniority by time served; they however, possess no determining rank apart from their seat within the Senate. Outside the High Council and the Senate, all nobles are protected by law to express their individual opinions concerning any governmental action, and should the direction of either the High Council or the Senate be disagreed with, a two-thirds majority may overturn the decision. The Senate also acts as the High Court of the realm.
The Strategium is a secondary and advisory body, tasked specifically with facilitating discussion on military affairs, tactics and strategy, to be recommended to the Magistrate of War and his Marshals. This body holds no executive authority however, and therefore is unlike the Senate in its purpose and direction. As a result, membership of the Strategium is far more open than the Senate, given that it contains the Magistrate of War, as well as the Chief Magistrate, the Marshals of the armies, their second-in-commands, and any other nobles whom the Magistrate of War deems to be conducive to the formulation of effective military discussion. Furthermore, the Chief Magistrate can be termed in this council as more of an observer, and the Magistrate of War holds seniority.
The General Diplomacy of Terran
Terran holds a long-standing alliance with the realm of D'Hara.
The Military of Terran
The military of Terran has proven itself to be both determined and resourceful, having faced down many significant challenges during Terran's brief existence. Though typically the enemies of Terran have never been human, the military of Terran has been forced to defend the sovereignty of the realm against attack from a couple of human realms in the past. Divided into two armies, each sponsored by their patron Duchy and filled with Nobles to that effect, the military of Terran is headed by the Magistrate of War and his Marshals.
As such, the Pride of the Highlands is tasked with the defence of the Duchy of the Chateau Saffalore and all of Terran's lands north of the river. Conversely, the Army of the Lowlands is tasked with the defence of the Duchy of Chesney and all of Terran's lands south of the river.
- The Pride of Phantaria, sponsored by the Senator of Shoka, Kale Perth. Charged primarily with the military representation and protection of the Duchy of Phantaria.
- The Army of the Lowlands, sponsored by the Senator of Chesney, Hireshmont Vellos II. Charged primarily with the military representation and protection of the Duchy of Chesney.
- The Republican Expeditionary Forces, sponsored by Senator O'domus Ryngaar. A versatile and elite unit often sent on missions outside the borders of Terran.
- Terran Corps of Engineers, led by Senator Elias Stormreaver. A devoted group of bureaucrats, trades, and administrators who keep Terran's regions prosperous.
The Justice System of Terran
The justice system of Terran is focused upon the protection of the rights of the Nobility, the preservation of realm integrity, and the protection of the realm's sovereignty from rebellious elements. Headed by the Magistrate of Justice, justice in Terran is tempered by a combination of arbitrary punishment and reconciliation and rehabilitation. Typically, the Magistrate of Justice bears the responsibility for all decisions in regard to these matters, but in the case of an appeal against a judgement, or the impeachment of a Council member or other noble of Senatorial class, the Senate functions as the High Court of Terran whose majority rulings are final. Upon which time the Magistrate of Justice is tasked with carrying out the specifics of their judgment.
Regarding guilds, religions, and secret societies: Laws Regarding Cultural Institutions
Religion in Terran
Due to the Republican nature of government and society which exists within Terran this forbids the formation, or endorsement, of a single state religion or favouritism of one over another. As a result, all nobles and Lords are given the right to practice whatever Faith they desire, as well as construct shrines or Temples to that effect, provided that the Faith in question does not act in a manner contrary to the interests of Terran and the majority of her Nobles.
The Newspapers of Terran
The Moot - Based in Chesney, but with a branch office in Chesland, The Moot is a newspaper focused on the happenings of southwestern Dwilight. Currently it is entirely Terran-run, but it hopes to expand to other realms, given time. It is affiliated with the Véinsørmoot guild.
The Culture of Terran
Chesney has developed a unique culture centered around its blending of multiple cultural zones. The Duchy of Chesney is situated at a crucial crossroads between the major shipping center of Paisly, and all the lands north of the Root River, and so it is, understandably, a place of many peoples. It houses large congregations of both Sanguis Astroism and Triunism, being the founding area of Triunism. It also is the home of The Moot, Terran's only newspaper, as well as its affiliated guild, Véinsørmoot, which aims to encourage southwestern commerce, cooperation, and communication, and has become a main artery of communications with Terran's important ally, D'Hara.. The duchy of Chesney includes the forested woodlands of Odona, the bustling farms of Chesland and Larur, and the tradesman-merchant city of Chesney, which lends it a very diverse culture, and it is buffeted by all the chaotic weather coming off the Dragon Peaks, and the central sea. Moreover, under the tenure of Duke Hireshmont II Vellos, the city of Chesney has seen the construction of guildhouses of numerous institutions, including the Dwilight University and the Dwilight Trade Company, which have helped turn Chesney into the cultural nexus of Maroccidens, especially with Paisly so often under siege by Madinan forces.