As a new player, you will likely find players using a great deal of short forms and such that you will not understand. Here is a list of short forms and other terms that may clear things up for you.
- BM: Battlemaster. This refers to, of course, this game.
- Bureau/Buro: Bureaucrat. A Class of character you can play as.
- Cav: Cavalry
- CS: Combat Strength
- CW: Civil Work. Something you perform with your troops to increase a region's production.
- IC: In Character. This refers to something to do with your character.
- IG: In Game. Similar to In Character, but Out-of-Character things can still be In-Game.
- Inf: Infantry
- Infil: Infiltrator. A class of character you can play as.
- LB: Lightning Bolt (the punishment used by Tom for extreme cases of cheating and/or abuse of the game).
- LL: Local Lord. Refers to the Lord of a region.
- OOC: Out of Character. This refers to something to do with someone as a player.
- OOG: Out of Game. Similar to Out-of-Character, but you can still be In Character outside the game (chatting IC on IRC, for instance).
- PW: Police work. Something you do with your troops to increase your realm's control over a region.
- RC: Recruitment Center These are the buildings in regions where peasants are trained to become soldiers.
- RL:This one has two meanings. "Real life", as in, OOG life, and "region lord", as in the lord of a local region, see LL.
- RP: Roleplaying. This refers to interactions/stories between players IC.
- SA: Survey Administration. Something Bureaucrats do to maintain the stats of a region.
- SF:Special Forces
- TL: Troop Leader. This refers to every noble in the game.
- TO: Takeover. This refers to a realm annexing a region from another realm.
- BTO: Brutal Take Over
- CTO: Colony Take Over
- FTO: Friendly take Over
- HTO: Hostile Take Over
- TSNP: They Shall Not Pass (A marshal setting)
This is all I can think of at this point. Feel free to add any terms and short forms I have missed that you think useful for new players.