A name in the archaic Fontanese tongue Scein means terror or scourge, derived originally from scian, an assassin's blade used at close quarters. Hence Scein's full name means "the terror wielded by the women of dark countenance".
Scein is the daughter of Lady Moira Dubhaine, the former Supreme Justice of Fontan. As with all the line of Moira she has the powerful, sinewy frame of a seasoned warrior. Scein's midnight-jet hair frames a pallid face of unearthly comeliness whilst her ice-blue eyes seem to burn with an inner light. Some have speculated that her father may not have been human, though the famed reticence of the Dubhaine family in such matters casts little light on the truth.
Raised in the badlands of the Zuma in western Dwilight the young Scein is a fearsome hunter and a natural leader who understands the virtue of strength and the importance of justice.
Killed in battle in Moeth on 6-3-1015, Scein arose undead from her tomb shortly after her funeral. Since then she's suffered numerous *mortal* wounds in the bloody wars which dominate South Island, on one occasion laying a full fourteen days before recovering. It's said that whilst The Beppo yet lives she can never die.
There is a dominant streak in the Dubhaine blood which Scein inherits, and where in her kindred it's been tempered by a courtly upbringing, in Scein's case it's purity is undiminished. As such she's cold-hearted - some would even say merciless - and maintains a strict impartiality in her dealings with others, knowing that at any moment she may need to judge them for their failings.
I am no black sheep, exiled to ignominy. I am Scein of House Dubhaine and I serve here for the highest purpose, the victory of the Just and Righteous.
My mother carried the Justice of long lost Fontan to the Zuma wastes where I was conceived amidst the horror and the blight, a blade of living flesh forged that the wicked should tremble at the terror of my countenance.
Some call me a hero, they are wrong. I am a force of nature. A scourge unrelenting. A child born to battle in a distant land, reared on the blood of the undying. I fear no creature, no weapon, of earth nor heaven and my banner is black.
I am Marshal of the Black Army of Taselak.
-- Scein Dubhaine, Dame of Taselak, Marshal of the Black Army of Taselak, 1015-02-25
I am Scein of House Dubhaine, conceived amidst the horror and the blight, a blade of living flesh forged for one purpose. Death.
Some call me a hero, they are wrong. I am a force of nature. A scourge unrelenting. A child born to battle in a distant land, birthed from the blood of the undying. I fear no creature, no weapon, not of earth nor heaven and my banner is black.
I alone can stand against the Beppo and triumph.
-- Scein Dubhaine, Countess of Moeth, former Duchess of Kerfort and Hidden Hand of the Emerald Harp following her latest return from the grave, 1019-05-08
The following scores are based on anecdotal evidence.
|1014||May||Knight of Taselak|
|Marshal of The Black Army of Taselak|
|1015||March||Knight of Taselak|
|May||Field Marshal of Taselak|
|November||The Undying of Taselak|
|1017||Countess of Kheif|
|1018||December||Hidden Hand of the Emerald Harp of Taselak|
|1019||January||Countess of Moeth|
|September||Marshal of the Hammer of Taselak|
|Duchess of Taselak|
|Warband||Black Army of Taselak||14||C||50||70||57||12||100||89||346||50||+whores||22.05.1014|
|Black Swans||Black Army of Taselak||Frediger
|The Black Guard||Black Army of Taselak||Bertolf
|Black Swans||Black Army of Taselak||Lupold
|The Ironsides||Black Army of Taselak||Bruno
|32 + 8||C||79||80||65||21||91||46||589||100||01.01.1015|
|Ironsides||25 + 1||C||31||39||41||22||95||69||325||70||08.03.1015|
|Tears of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Walbrecht
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Waldor
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Josef
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||10||MI||70||1||90||25||0||100||23||188||0||04.06.1015|
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Ludwig
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Goswin
|Wrath of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Gundred
|27 + 6||C||74||80||65||19||99||29||491||100||+quayside||16.08.1015|
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Ingwald
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Dagmar
|Rage of the Zuma||Black Army of Taselak||Goswin
|0 + 18||MI||63||2||77||43||65||22||24||0||20||08.01.1016|
|The Black Guard||Black Army of Taselak||Bernolt
|Ironsides||Black Army of Taselak||Jonas
|The Black Guard||Black Army of Taselak||29||SF||77||5||85||90||0||100||65||804||0||05.04.1017|
|The Grapes of Wrath||The Shield of Taselak||Hadrilla
|The Wrath of Grapes||The Shield of Taselak||Andreina
|Tears of the Zuma||The Hammer of Taselak||Adriana
|The Black Guard||Taselak Phoenix||Edwin
|The Black Guard||Taselak Phoenix||Baldelda
- March - The Restless Grave -- Following her death in battle on the fields of Moeth the Lady Scein is cursed to unlife, an undying scourge trapped amongst the living.
- May - The Warmind -- For some weeks Taselak had passed without a General, so now Lady Scein steps forward. Towards the end of the month she mounts an epic raid, marching the External Revenue Service through Ikalak and Sandalak whilst their respective armies besiege Taselak.
- June - The Defence of Taselak -- The combined forces of Ikalak and Sandalak are once more at Taselak's walls. After Queen Sorach falls leading the citizens' militia in driving Ikalak's forces from the city, Scein announces her candidacy for the vacant throne in hopes of a ceasefire with Ikalak. Instead Sennianus becomes First Axe n a platform of "no surrender, no compromise".
- July - The Defence of Taselak -- First Axe Sennianus falls in battle and the throne passes to Lord Torturer Aeneas. The citizen's militia continue to humble the combined armies of Ikalak and Sandalak.
- October - The Awakening -- Taselak is reborn after the fall and Scein awakes from her undying slumber.
- December - The Beppo Returns -- Taselak is reborn.
- January - The Beppo Returns
- February - The Rise of the Beppo Slayers
- March - The Rise of the Beppo Slayers
- April - The Rise of the Beppo Slayers
- May - The Wraith Arises -- Following a fatal wound at the battle of Seggelin Lady Scein is once more thrust undying back into the land of mortals.
- August - Death Before Dishonour -- The collapse of Taselak and chaos amongst her nobles forces Hidden Hand Scein to raise the Black Banner and take command of the armies.
- September - Death Before Dishonour -- Newly appointed as Marshal of the Hammer of Taselak, Scein introduces a new doctine: always attacking; always in the front line; never giving or seeking quarter.
- October - Once More Unto the Breach
- November - Against the Priests of the Beppo
- December - Against the Priests of the Beppo